My husband and I tentatively made plans to take a long-awaited 10 day trip to the Southwest in April- something I have wanted to do ever since my first job at the National Park Foundation. I was lucky that my parents, both in education, had summers off and took us to many National Parks, so I have had a love of the Parks instilled in me at a young age. But I had no idea there were places like Zion and Arches until my work at NPF. Upon seeing those landscapes in the promotional brochures we distributed, those became my dream destinations.
I just haven’t been able to swing a trip there. Life always gets in the way- for a long time I didn’t have anyone to join me, then there was law school. My husband and I were thinking of going after I took the bar, but decided that August is not the best time to visit the desert. In retrospect, this was totally the right decision- miserable temperatures in the Southwest aside, I was so burnt out that I don’t think I would have enjoyed it anyway.
But now, assuming we can secure a place for our dogs with some very generous friends, we’re going! I can barely contain my excitement! In a 10 day span during the first two weeks in April, we will visit Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands and the Grand Canyon. We’ll mostly be hiking, but do have a full day rafting trip planned in Moab. Which means I spent a good chunk of the weekend shopping for a new, more substantial swimsuit.
Here’s my running related conundrum: I had wanted to sign-up for the George Washington Parkway Classic 10 Miler, but was waiting to see if we’d be traveling that weekend. Now I know we’ll be here, but I likely won’t be running at all during the trip. It’ll be an active vacation for sure, but I doubt I’ll be able to squeeze in any training runs. There’s only one weekend in between our return and the race. I will also (presumably) have run the Rock ‘n’ Roll USA half on March 17, my first half marathon. I’m not sure if I would be setting myself up for injury or some sort of mishap given all this.
So, should I take a chance and just do it? Or wait for next year? Any thoughts?